- Commercial Litigation
- Represented architectural services firm on appeal before the Minnesota Court of Appeals, obtaining complete affirmance of judgment below. Rasminde, LLC v. Hutchinson Properties, LLC, 2017 WL 2226705 (Minn. Ct. App. May 22, 2017).
- Represented ethanol plant owner in multi-million dollar design dispute on appeal before North Dakota Supreme Court, winning vacation of judgment below. Tharaldson Ethanol Plant I, LLC v. VEI Global, Inc., 2014 ND 94, 845 N.W.2d 900.
- Represented construction contractor on appeal before United States Court of Appeals for the Eight Circuit, winning reversal of jury award. Graham Construction Services, Inc. v. Hammer & Steel, Inc., 755 F.3d 611 (8th Cir. 2014).
- Represented 20 teachers in lawsuit challenging Minnesota Board of Teaching’s illegal policies and procedures; obtained declaratory judgment and permanent injunction and affirmance by the Minnesota Court of Appeals. Hernandez v. Minnesota Board of Teaching, No. A16-0065, 2016 WL 4162877 (Minn. Ct. App. Aug. 8, 2016).
- Represented national ADR body in multi-million dollar dispute, winning dismissal of all claims and affirmance by the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. Owens v. American Arbitration Association, No. 16-1065, 670 Fed. Appx. 441, 2016 WL 6818858 (8th Cir. Nov. 18, 2016).
- Represented fiber optic construction contractor in week-long jury trial, obtaining $2.55 million judgment. Rohl Networks, LP v. County of Lake, Minnesota, No. 38-cv-16-224 (Minn. Dist. Ct. [Lake Cnty.]).
- Represented architect in breach-of-contract and lien-foreclosure action against developer, winning 100% of architect’s lien claim, plus attorneys’ fees and interest. Rasminde LLC v. Hutchinson Properties, LLC, No. 43-cv-15-668 (Minn. Dist. Ct. [McLeod Cnty.]).
- Represented construction contractor in two-week jury trial, obtaining $4.9 million judgment. Lindstrom Cleaning & Construction, Inc. v. Betzler Investments, LLC, No. 10CV0990A (Tex. Dist. Ct. [Galveston Cnty.]).
- Represented wireless communications dealer in contract dispute with subdealer. Shammami v. MetroPCS Michigan, LLC, No. 15-3120, 2015 WL 6962842 (D. Minn. Nov. 10, 2015).
- Education Equity
- Teacher Licensure
- Criminal Appeals
Presentations and Publications
Speaker, “Construction Management/Design-Build in Minnesota” (June 2014)
“Defending the Formal Federal Civil Rulemaking Process: Why the Court Should Not Amend Procedural Rules Through Judicial Interpretation,” 42 Loyola University Chicago Law Journal 327 (2011)
Awards & Recognition
Ramsey County Bar Association Excellence in Diversity Award (2016)
North Star Lawyer (2015 & 2016)
Section Council, Appellate Practice Section, Minnesota State Bar Association
Construction Law Section, Minnesota State Bar Association
Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society
Law Clerk, Supreme Court of Minnesota, 2011-2012
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, summa cum laude, 2011
- B.A., Gustavus Adolphus College, magna cum laude, 2006
- State of Illinois, 2011
- State of Minnesota, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Minnesota, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2016