Hugh Brown is a shareholder at Fabyanke, Westra, Hart & Thomson, P.A. He represents contractors, subcontractors and owners in construction disputes in federal and state court, and in arbitration. Hugh is experienced in bond and mechanics’ lien claims and in the drafting and negotiating of construction and design contracts. He also advises participants in the construction industry in regulatory issues. Hugh was named to the Minnesota Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars list every year for the last four years, and is the Secretary of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Construction Law Section Council.
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Drafting, Review, and Negotiation
- Mechanic’s Lien Claims
- Bond Claims
- Represented a supplier in claims arising from an 850 mw natural gas power generation plant in Brazil.
- Represented an EPC contractor in arbitration concerning a 700 megawatt supercritical coal fired power plant.
- Represented contractor on multi-party claim related to beam collapse at Mall of America.
- Represented owners and contractors in review and negotiation of construction and design contracts worth billions of dollars.
- Represented intervenor group in rate case filed by major Midwest electric utility.
- Represented coalition of electric utilities before Minnesota Public Utilities Commission in contested case to set environmental externality values for resource planning.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Construction Risk Seminar, AGC of Minnesota, December 20, 2018
- Speaker, Risk Strategies for Opioids and Marijuana on the Construction Site, Minnesota Subcontractors’ Association, April 2, 2019
- Significant Changes to the AIA Document A201-2017, 11 Journal of the ACCL 19 (2017)
- Questions Answered, Others Raised, on Minnesota’s Construction Time Bar Statute, May 7, 2019
- OSHA’s Revised Stance on Workplace Drug Testing and Safety Incentive Programs, January 29, 2019
- The New 2017 AIA A201 General Conditions, June 15, 2017
Professional Organizations & Achievements
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, “Rising Star” (2014-2018)
- Secretary, Construction Law Section Council, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society
- Law Clerk, Justice Paul H. Anderson, Supreme Court of Minnesota, 2010-2011
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2010
- B.A., Carleton College, 2006
- State of Minnesota
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota